In February, former Miami Dolphins head coach Brian Flores filed a lawsuit against the NFL, alleging he was racially discriminated against. On Thursday, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport posted an update on this situation.
A U.S. District Court judge denied a request by the Flores team to “find out the arbitration issue before submitting the brief of opposition to the NFL’s motion to compel arbitration.”
Flores’ attorneys released a statement about the decision.
“We are confident that we will defeat the NFL’s efforts to move this matter to private and confidential arbitration behind closed doors,” the statement said. “It’s obvious the NFL is trying to hide behind the arbitration process and avoid public scrutiny of the racial discrimination and retaliation claims we’ve filed. If they’re confident in their defenses, they should let the process will take place in the courts so that the general public can see.”
Most fans were confused by the terminology used by Rapoport and Flores’ legal team.
Earlier this week, the Dolphins were disciplined for violating the integrity of the game. However, the league says owner Stephen Ross did not ask Flores to intentionally lose games in 2019.
“The Dolphins intentionally did not lose any games during the 2019 season,” the NFL said. “Nobody at the club, including Mr Ross, asked Coach Flores to do it.”
It will be interesting to see how this legal situation unfolds.