Meghan Markle’s father Thomas makes first public appearance since stroke

Thomas Markle, 77, appeared in the video above a windy beach in his first public appearance since his stroke in May

In his first public appearance since suffering a stroke three months ago, Meghan Markle’s father thanked the British public for their support.

An exclusive video of Thomas Markle, 77, on GB News tonight marks his first public appearance since his stroke in May which caused him to lose his speech.

It was shown during Dan Wooton’s interview with Mr Markle’s son, Thomas Markle Jr, where he spoke about his father’s recovery.

In the video, Mr Markle can be seen sitting at a table overlooking a windy beach. He is holding a whiteboard and a pen, waving the sign in front of the camera.

The sign reads: ‘Hi Dan, thank you and the British people for the best wishes and goodwill’.

Thomas Markle, 77, appeared in the video above a windy beach in his first public appearance since his stroke in May

Mr Markle thanked presenter Dan Wooton and the UK audience for their

Mr Markle thanked presenter Dan Wooton and the UK public for their ‘best wishes and goodwill’

The retired Hollywood lighting director suffered a stroke on May 23 and spent five days in hospital.

He fell while shopping and had to be helped up just days before being taken to hospital.

After being released he said: “I am extremely grateful and know how lucky I am to be alive.

“I want to thank everyone, especially the wonderful doctors and nurses who saved my life. They are angels.

“I have been deeply moved by the messages of love I have received from all over the world. People have been so kind. I cannot speak at the moment, but I am working hard and will thank people properly when I I could.

Mr Markle had planned to fly to the UK in June to celebrate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, but the stroke, which left him with limited speech, sabotaged the trip.

Thomas Markle was rushed to hospital after suffering a stroke - he was hospitalized for five days and lost his speech

Thomas Markle was rushed to hospital after suffering a stroke – he was hospitalized for five days and lost his speech

Dan Wooton's interview with Thomas Jr airs on his 9pm GB News show tonight

Dan Wooton’s interview with Thomas Jr airs on his 9pm GB News show tonight

Writing on a whiteboard with a marker at the time, he said: ‘I wanted to come and pay my respects to the Queen. I wish him a happy Jubilee and many more years.

The severe stroke was caused by a blood clot on the right side of Mr Markle’s brain.

He was rushed to a hospital near his home in Rosarito, Mexico, before being transferred by ambulance to the US border where an ambulance was waiting to transport him to a hospital in San Diego, California.

He has been in an intensive care unit all week and has made what a doctor has told him is “remarkable progress”.

When he was released from the California hospital, he was able to speak a few words, but faces what he calls “an uphill battle” to regain his power of speech.

“I have a lot of hard work to do and I will,” he wrote. ‘I want to heal. I am so lucky to have had incredible care and love. Thank you everyone.’

Mr Markle was cared for by his 56-year-old son Thomas Jr, who drove 11 hours into the night to be with his distressed father.

“I was visiting my son and his family in Oregon when I got the call,” Thomas Jr said at the time.

“I will be there for Dad and I will do whatever it takes to help him on the road to recovery. This has been a terrible shock for everyone, but Dad is a strong man and he is determined to heal.

“He has already started working with a speech therapist and is making great progress. We received hundreds of messages of support for him from people around the world.

“We are so grateful for the outpouring of love for Dad. I’m here for him as long as it takes.

Mr Markle’s daughter, Samantha, previously said he may need a year of therapy to regain his speech after being struck by a stroke.

His family had been worried about his high blood pressure for some time before he fell ill, which caused him to even lose the ability to tell paramedics what was wrong with him.

The 77-year-old had to write down his symptoms on a piece of paper.

Mr Markle was forced to miss his daughter’s wedding to Prince Harry in 2018 after suffering two heart attacks days before.

Dan Wootton Tonight airs Monday to Thursday at 9pm on GB News.

.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.