Prince William updates fans on ‘devastating news’ as he issues urgent plea over death | Royal | News

Prince William updates fans on 'devastating news' as he issues urgent plea over death | Royal | News

Today the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge’s Twitter account posted a series of tweets about the tragedy, saying the ranger was ‘potentially murdered in his home and his wife seriously injured’.

The tweets added that the discovery was made the same day William’s patronage, the Tusk Trust, launched its multi-million dollar fundraising initiative, the 2022 Wildlife Ranger Challenge.

This project, which will culminate in a 21-kilometre half-marathon on September 17 accompanied by a series of mental and physical challenges, aims to generate additional support for rangers across Africa, who work on the front lines to protect the continent’s habitat, fight poaching and wildlife crime, and support conservation efforts.

The Twitter thread ended with a statement written by the Duke and signed with his initial, W.

READ MORE: Queen shares hilarious reaction to Kate and Prince William’s renovation

“As we remember Anton, it’s critical that we provide the right support, generated by organizations like Tusk or our work with United for Wildlife, so that incidents like this don’t happen again.”

The Royal Foundation and Prince William founded United for Wildlife in 2014, with the aim of protecting endangered species and their habitats from illegal trade and poaching.

Cambridges Twitter feed further highlighted the dangers faced daily by rangers fighting for conservation in Africa.

Tweets accompanying the Duke’s statement read: “Rangers like Anton are on the front lines of conservation, protecting people as well as wildlife.

“Among many roles, they are teachers, caregivers and researchers, searching for a natural world that cannot defend itself.

DO NOT MISS

“It’s dangerous work. Over 1,000 rangers have been killed in the last ten years, and they need our support now more than ever.

“There are programs: @Tusk_org has worked with rangers and communities in over 20 countries for over 30 years to help amplify conservation initiatives.

“Their work has strengthened the protection of more than 70 million hectares of land and 40 endangered species.”

Conservation group Helping Rhinos said Mr Mzimba was shot and killed outside his home on July 26.

They tweeted last week: “Chief ranger in Timbavati, Anton Mzimba, was shot and killed outside his home last night.

“This follows recent death threats and highlights the daily threat that Rangers face.

“Our deepest condolences to Anton’s loved ones and colleagues at this difficult time.”

Prince William said he was “deeply saddened” in his first statement regarding Mr Mzimba’s death.

He wrote on Twitter last week: “I am deeply saddened to learn of the murder of Anton Mzimba whom I spoke to in November.

“Committed and courageous, rangers like Anton are at the heart of conserving Africa’s fantastic wildlife.

“Those responsible must be brought to justice quickly.”

William’s conversation with Mr Mzimba last year focused on the difficulties faced by rangers in the fight against poaching and new technology helping conservationists detect hidden illegal wildlife objects in baggage and cargo.

The Duke also heard about the potential of the technology, called Microsoft’s SEEKER, through his work with the Royal Foundation’s United for Wildlife, whose partners helped the project develop.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.